Date:      Tue, 06 Jun 2000 08:37:40 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
Cc:        "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>, Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: JDK status?

> Yeah, but this worries me, because where does this leave the NetBSD
> folks? I hope this isn't going to be `FreeBSD gets to join the
> little clique with Linux whilst all other free software is left
> out in the cold.'

I don't think it's quite so brutally darwinistic as all that, Curt.

The simple fact of the matter is that Sun makes you jump through hoops
now if you want to play the Java game.  BSDi has jumped through said
hoops on FreeBSD's behalf given that BSDi sells FreeBSD through the
acquisition of Walnut Creek CDROM.  If someone from NetBSD's list of
benefactors wishes to jump though those same hoops, I'm sure Sun will
react accordingly.

- Jordan