Date:      Mon, 3 Apr 2000 13:28:28 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: journaling fs

On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 02:53:45PM -0500, Brennan W Stehling wrote:
> Are there any efforts to build a journaling filesystem for FreeBSD?  I
> have read of several for Linux, but none for FreeBSD.
>
> The ufs has been great.  I actually think it is more stable than what
> linux uses, but I would like to avoid the problems that I have with ufs.
>
> fsck is just so slow, especially when my drives tend to get so much larger
> than before.  I have a new 30 gigger and running and fsck on that will
> take a long time.  If it ever falls hard it will take forever to reboot.

The long answer to this question is to read the archives, specificaly
-hackers and -fs are good choices.  The short answer, is that Kirk is
working on back ground fsck for UFS.  Journaling is only one solution to
this problem.  Most of the features you will typicaly see attributed to
a JFS have nothing to do with journaling.  What most people seem to want
from a JFS is buzzword compliance.

-- Brooks