Date:      Wed, 02 Jul 2003 18:53:40 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        ken@kdm.org
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cardbus network problem with -current

In message: <20030702182620.A12382@panzer.kdm.org>
            "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org> writes:
: On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 16:15:06 -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > In message: <20030702074635.A9697@panzer.kdm.org>
: >             "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org> writes:
: > : On Wed, Jul 02, 2003 at 01:48:21 -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: > : > Does this also happen if you boot off the battery?  When booting off
: > : > the battery, your CPU is running slower (if the 8500 is like my 8000),
: > : > and maybe this is a timing problem.
: > :
: > : The same thing happens when I boot off the battery.
: >
: > I suppose the same thing happens if you boot w/o the card in the
: > socket, and do one of the following:
: >
: > 1) insert the card after the machine is on, but before the kernel is
: >    loaded.
:
: Yep, fails the same way.
:
: > 2) after cbb has probed, but before we get to the point of mounting
: >    root.
:
: Fails the same way.
:
: > 3) Some point after init starts.
:
: It fails the same way.  I have to pop it out and re-insert it.

So even if you wait until the machine is completely up, you have to
insert it twice before it will work?

: > And does it happen when you reboot the machine with the card in place?
: > Eg, is this a cold boot only problem, warm boot problem, or both?
:
: It doesn't matter whether it's a cold or a warm boot, or whether the card
: was functional or not on the last boot, every time I reboot it doesn't work.
:
: Once I re-insert it, it works fine.

OK.  That's good to know.  Sounds like a "first time always fails"
problem...

Oh, one last thing.  Could you try the following experiment.  Don't
build cardbus into your kernel.  Omit cbb, cardbus and pccard.  Make
sure you install the modules, however.  Also, set the loader for
automatic module loading for these three modules.  Then you can do:

	1) insert card
	2) boot
	3) reinsert card
	4) kldunload cbb		(or cardbus in second experiment)
	5) kldload cbb			    ditto
	6) reinsert card

If it is a 'the bios puts the hardware in a funny state' problem, then
the card should attach at #5 instead of #6.  I think this is a pci
cardbus bridge driver problem of some sort and this would help me sort
it out.  I know it is a little bit of a pain, but it may suggest a
patch..

Warner