Date:      Sat, 17 Dec 2005 00:13:05 +0800
From:      David Miao <davmiao@gmail.com>
To:        Nathan Vidican <nvidican@wmptl.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: C++ compile error

On 12/16/05, Nathan Vidican <nvidican@wmptl.com> wrote:
> David Miao wrote:
> > Dear list,
> >
> > I try to compile a hello world C++ program in FreeBSD 6.0, but get an
> > error as below:
> >
> > [dm@ORION ~/cpp]% CC -o hello hello.C
> > hello.C: In function `int main()':
> > hello.C:5: error: `cout' undeclared (first use this function)
> > hello.C:5: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> > for each function it appears in.)
> > hello.C:5: error: `endl' undeclared (first use this function)
> >
> > I noticed that "iostream" file is located in
> > "/usr/include/c++/3.4/iostream", I guess my CC compiler cannot find
> > this head file. Is it true? And how can I fix this problem? Your
> > advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
> >
> > =3D=3Dquote of hello world code=3D=3D
> > #include <iostream>
> >
> > int main()
> > {
> >     cout << "Hello World!" << endl;
> >
> >     return 0;
> > }
> > =3D=3D end of quote=3D=3D
> >
> > Regards,
> > David
.org"

> Also, noticed your code is flawed, you never used a namespace, nor explic=
itly
> stated one. cout is part of the 'std' namespace, so either ' using namesp=
ace
> std;' for global/local use of namespace, OR do 'std::cout <<' instead. Tr=
y the
> hello.cpp I sent you in the last email, that one should work for ya :)
>
> --
> Nathan Vidican
> nvidican@wmptl.com
> Windsor Match Plate & Tool Ltd.
> http://www.wmptl.com/

Nathan,

I'm learning c++ programming language by using "The complete c++
training course - second edition" (Harvey Deitel & Paul Deitel), hello
world is the first program in this book.  I'm totally puzzled by this
complex language when I compile my first program. Is this book out of
date?

This post may off topic of FreeBSD, sorry to other people...

Regards,
David