Date:      Thu, 8 Jan 1998 01:23:56 +0800
From:      Frank Chen Hsiung Chan <frankch@life.nthu.edu.tw>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Localizing FreeBSD?

  I have patch the locale part of libc in 2.2.5 stable,
  the patches are at:
  http://waru.life.nthu.edu.tw/~frankch/locale/

  What I have done, is to add BIG5 rune encoding support.
  I also add zh_TW.BIG5 to the data of mklocale.

  I am not very sure about the codes. Perhaps someone
  would like to check this and make some comments?

  After what I have done, I found that there aren't much
  of the programs localized. We have xpg4 stuff in FreeBSD,
  but only a few programs (is there any?) have utilized
  that code. Is there any plan to make FreeBSD utilize
  more the xpg4 code?

  Currently I am not on this list. Perhaps you would
  be kindly put me in the CC (if there's any reply?)

  P.S. for those who may have question. BIG5 is a
  Chinese encoding (also a charset) widely used in
  Taiwan and HongKong.

--
Frank Chen Hsiung Chan [¸âÂíºµ](BIG5)
Department of Life Science      http://waru.life.nthu.edu.tw/~frankch/