Date:      Sat, 13 May 2000 01:43:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Brennan W Stehling <brennan@offwhite.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   5.0 already?

How is FreeBSD moving along so quickly?  One month I am running 3.0R and a
few months later we are past 3.4 and on to 4.0 STABLE and finally we
have 5.0 out there already before a 4.1 STABLE exists.

I am confused.  What is going on with all these branches?  Is 5.0 the
FreeBSD/BSDi merge?  Is there a major technology leap with each version
which demands such widely spread version numbers?

My flawed upgrade to 4.0 a while back left me feeling FreeBSD is going too
fast and that stability and quality is suffering.  A friend of mine was
actually scared off and now prefers to go with Linux as it's development
seems to be more conservative.

Why is FreeBSD going so fast?  Could it be that the upcoming release of
Mac OS X was based on mostly on 3.2 and that FreeBSD wants to appear to be
years past that version?  If so, is it?

Are we going to be running version 9.0 in less than 5 years?

Brennan Stehling - web developer and sys admin
projects: www.greasydaemon.com | www.onmilwaukee.com | www.sncalumni.com

Microsoft: Will you get a macro virus today?