Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 23:46:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      Charlie Root <root@hermes.niicommunications.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   problems with exceed/xwin

greetings,

I have tried both of these applications I can't get them to work.  I used Exceed in the past
and had no problems.  I run xdm on the server, supply the host name to exceed/xwin and make
sure the screen setting is set to single, and the communication is set to query.  It
just sits at the grey/black screen.. it doesn't show the xdm login manager.   anyone have
any ideas what I am doing wrong here?  I tried it at work and home and got the same results.

does freebsd need to be in a certain run level for this work (I also tried it on a linux
server and got the same results).. but I didn't try putting the linux maching in a
paticular run level yet.

its not a firewall problem.. and netstat shows that 6000 port is listening.. I can connect
to it via telent.. not sure what I am overlooking.. any help would be MUCH appreciated..
thanks