Date:      16 Dec 2002 08:14:53 -0500
From:      Matt Smith <matt@forsetti.com>
To:        Daniel HARTMANN <danielhartmann@wanadoo.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: VNC

The inetd.conf entry must be all in one line.
/etc/inetd.conf:
Xvnc    stream  tcp     nowait  nobody  /usr/local/bin/Xvnc Xvnc -inetd
-query localhost  -once -geometry 800x600 -depth 24

As well, you must have a services entry
/etc/services:
Xvnc            5900/tcp  #VNC Server

Also, inetd must be running:
/etc/rc.conf:
inetd_enable="YES"

Proper host access must be configured:
/etc/hosts.allow:
Xvnc : xxx.xxx.xxx.0/255.255.255.0 : allow

Lastly, XDM (or GDM, KDM, etc) must be running, and configured to accept
requests, DIRECT or INDIRECT .  The above inetd.conf entry will allow
for DIRECT queries, INDIRECT can be used by replacing -query localhost
with -broadcast.

I use "-query localhost" to make Xvnc grab XDM only from my local box,
but this param can be configured to grab the XDM login from another box.

I would suggest reading about iXVNC from the VNC page -- the inetd
functionality originally came from this patch, but is now a native part
of the XVNC daemon:
http://www.dei.isep.ipp.pt/~andre/extern/ixvnc.htm

!!!Warning:  As configured, simply connecting to Xvnc service passes
everything plaintext!!!  I STRONGLY recommend tunneling VNC traffic over
SSH (or other secure tunnel).

Good luck!
-Matt

--