Date:      Sun, 09 Jan 2011 16:42:28 -0800
From:      Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@mittelstaedt.us>
To:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Testing Luvalley with FreeBSD as dom0
References:  <20100418191752.GA72730@triton8.kn-bremen.de>	<w2r3b0605b31004181554tb90de59u6df8ebd5b1206caa@mail.gmail.com>	<AANLkTi=nhk%2BeCG6kbe4LfeaTQWkKaVcr%2BRx2LrKparDO@mail.gmail.com>	<20110107194516.GA28544@triton8.kn-bremen.de>	<AANLkTikvP8SezKEZYSUimaj3u8fkk2Vw6-aY09KV=RF3@mail.gmail.com>	<20110107213643.GA32645@triton8.kn-bremen.de>	<AANLkTi=2Nn8xeKudxb2uSR=aLx0GW43gVPCdL-=hjP7z@mail.gmail.com>	<AANLkTikbuWJbtPYaLW=8BEH4f5oiumzEN6rgwOB5tC=R@mail.gmail.com>	<20110109110022.GA10789@triton8.kn-bremen.de> <AANLkTik9Ckh2UAaed=YYbBFCP6yyd6kOmSXdEYmZPiEd@mail.gmail.com>

I think the Luvalley architecture is fascinating but one of the larger
problems that has always been faced by the Open Source Community has
been lack of device driver support for all of the many peripherals and
motherboards and bits of hardware out there.

This is the problem with "bare metal" hypervisors, we see exactly the
same problem with commercial use of the ESXi "bare metal" hypervisor -
limited device driver support - and the worst, being disk driver
support.  ESXi, being based on Linux, has no
good support for SATA-raid  (ie: poor mans pseudo RAID 0 )  FreeBSD
by contrast, has excellent support, far better than Linux.

The practical reality of it is I can go out and buy a brand new,
super-fast computer and run FreeBSD 8 on it then VirtualBox on that,
then my guest OS's under VirtualBox - and get the same performance
as a bare-metal hypervisor like ESXi or Luvalley on older hardware.
And, with the FreeBSD/VirtualBox way, I get access to a far wider array
of hardware including disk RAID hardware.

Thus, I have to say that I feel the bare-metal hypervisor approach
is a dead-end.  Yes, I realize ESX has made a lot of money with this
approach but the newest hardware coming on the scene is incredibly
fast.  Even if you put pseudo raid support into luvalley, your never
going to get the kind of hardware support that you can get from
an operating system that is used for far many more things than
just virtualization.

Ted