Date:      Wed, 12 Oct 2016 01:27:43 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
To:        "Vlad K." <vlad-fbsd@acheronmedia.com>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: harder and harder to avoid pkg

On 12/10/2016 1:13 AM, Vlad K. wrote:
> On 2016-10-11 20:59, Julian Elischer wrote:
>> are unsuitable for some situations.  We really need to follow the lead
>> of some of the Linux groups and have -runtime and -devel versions of
>> packages,  OR  we what woudlbe smarter, woudl be to have several "sub
>> manifests" to allow unpacking in different environments.
>
> Is as adding a "HEADERS" or whatever you want to call the option to
> ports, a solution? Like we have DOC for documentation, an option
> that could be PLIST sub'd and switch installation of
> include/whatever.h and friends?
what I really need is a RUNTIME option that produces a package with
only those files needed to satisfy external run-time depdencies, or
the actual demands of the user itself. However since those files are
all in the regular package, It'd make sense to just apply the regular
package to some filter that only allowed those files to be extracted.
For many packages the whole output would be a single file. (This would
be true for any package that produces a single .so such as libjpeg or
libtiff etc. ). The pkg database would however report the package
being installed, thus satisfying other packages that look in the
database for dependencies.  Giving it another name (e.g.
foo-runtime-3.2 ) would make the dependencies not match it.