Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 06:09:17 -0800 (PST)
From:      Derrick Baumer <bduk@earthlink.net>
To:        sdt@gmx.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2nd IDE controller

> From: Stefanus Du Toit <sdt@gmx.net>
>
> Hi,
>
> I've been running FreeBSD for half a week now - it's great - but
> unfortunately have so far been unable to get it to recognise my second IDE
> controller. I checked in Linux + Windows 98, it's definitely at 0x170, but
> whenever I boot up FreeBSD it tells me "wdc1 not found at
> 0x170". Interesting is also the fact that my BIOS lists a few devices
> (PCI, I think) at startup, including the _first_ IDE controller (at 0x1f0,
> irq 14), but _not_ the second one (and yet the second controller works
> without problems on the other OSes on here).

I had an identical problem, did the same checking, and somewhere along
the way it started working right, but I'm not sure precisely what I
did.  Here are the things I tried:

1. Recompiled the kernel, putting the appropriate flags on the disk
controller lines as outlined in LINT - these told the system to look
for DMA, block transfers, 32bit access, etc...  I don't think this is
what fixed it.

2. In my BIOS, I had the two IDE drives that were on the controller
that was not being found set up for DMA access even though they were
not DMA drives.  Somehow they worked fine like that under Windows?
Made sure all BIOS settings reflected actual hardware.

3. Rearranged the drives so they were on different controllers - just
swapped them.

Now everything works.

?

--