Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 09:55:30 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        itojun@iijlab.net
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getaddrinfo and the UNIX domain

On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 04:54:07PM +0900, itojun@iijlab.net wrote:
> 	NRL getaddrinfo supports PF_UNIX (= PF_LOCAL) family.  as NRL
> 	getaddrinfo is in linux distributions, i belive openldap guys are
> 	assuming that linux behavior is correct.
>
> 	from standardization standpoint, all documents are silent about which
> 	address family are mandatory to be supported.  as getaddrinfo is an
> 	"address family independent service address/name lookup" function, one
> 	can claim that everything has to be supported.  however, we have some
> 	limit in supports.  for example, if we try to support PF_UNIX, it is
> 	not very compatible with current definition of getaddrinfo flags (like
> 	NI_NUMERICSERV).  i don't think we can convert /tmp/some-socket into
> 	some numeric.
>
> 	how critical is it for openldap?

It is not critical -- it is easily worked around.

I do have to admit, however, that having getaddrinfo handle PF_LOCAL
sockets in some fashion does make the application code a bit cleaner,
in that it eliminates a special case.

I think that if getaddrinfo were to support PF_LOCAL, then it could
just return errors for flags that make no sense, like NI_NUMERICSERV.

Thanks,
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org