Date:      Sat, 4 Mar 2000 20:28:05 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        "Andrey P. Babiy" <dea@email.dp.ua>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem

On Fri, Mar 03, 2000 at 02:44:07PM -0800, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> Andrey P. Babiy <dea@email.dp.ua> [000303 08:39] wrote:
> >
> > I have a problem: I can't install FreeBSD.
> >
> > Everything is O.K. till the installation program starts to copy the bin
> > into my computer. It doesn't look like a problem with configuring because I
> > can see that the installation program found and recognized all the devices.
> > I have been trying to install FreeBSD from CDROM. I also couldn't have
> > installed from floppies and DOS partition.
> >
> > Computer: 486DX2/66, HDD Seagate 525Mb, RAM 8Mb.
>
> I'm pretty sure you need ~12MB for an install, you can get away with
> less if you compile your own copy of GENERIC and take out a bunch
> of not needed stuff and copying it to the install floppy.

Which would require him to install FreeBSD first, and he would have to
go through the loop just formed.

Anyway, Andrey, try installing on a machine with more memory.  If you
don't have one around, you can even install over to a friend's box and
then move the HDD back to yours.

Note however, that if you do the installation on someone else's
machine, then it's probably preferable to boot with *your* disk as the
primary master.  It will save you from a lot of, err, trouble, which
you might come across after you've moved the disk back home.

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
For my public PGP key: finger keramida@diogenis.ceid.upatras.gr