Date:      Fri, 19 May 2000 16:54:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nate Puri <natepuri@office.ompages.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   question about writing apps for freebsd 4.0

Hi all,

This is a question my partner should be asking, but he is a linux guy
and doesn't seem interested in pursuing this topic.  I'm not a
programmer, but it seems I must query this...

We have a program that is a re-write of dhis.org dhid application.  We
intend it to be used to create the infrastructure for what will become a
public accessible VPN.

The daemon that sits on the client side, sends out  udp packets to the
server to let it know what the dynamic IP of the box is so that the IP
will appear visible to the rest of the www.

Our problem is that for some reason on 4.0 no upd packets get sent out
at all.

Right now our client runs on all Linuxes, and OpenBSD. I have
aspirations for all the BSDs to be supported by us.  We need some help.
We haven't decided what we're going to license this thing under.  It's
not a child of the dhid.org daemon; it's a total re-write.  But we are
going to choose either GPL or BSD no doubt.  If you are interested in
helping, please let me know directly and I will shoot you the URL of the
client source.

Thanks a lot everyone.  Our project is for a good cause.  We trying to
make it easy for average people to have secure home networks. (As if
average people wanted that), but we believe at some point in the near
future average people will.  For now, geeky people will and that good
enough for us...  Thanks all in advance...

-Nate

--
Nate Puri, President		Installation, Administration, Security
BankofData.net (not yet live)	and Support for Home and Small Networks...