Date:      Sat, 17 Sep 2005 17:37:19 +1000
From:      freebsd-questions@auscert.org.au
To:        Chris <chris@childeric.freeserve.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: making packages

Hi Chris,

> The pkg_create man page advises to ``use a front-end tool for the job
>       rather than muddling through it yourself''

Did you receive any response to this particular question? I have only
lately noticed this anomaly myself, and wished that it read "... a
front-end tool, such as xxx ...".

In your situation, however, I'd recommend a) using portupgrade -pf for
already-installed packages or b) portinstall -p and then pkg_deinstall,
for packages you don't wish to install locally.  I've noticed also
(accidentally, when I forgot to unset it after a jail installation) that
portinstall appears to respect DESTDIR in the environment, so you could
set this variable before performing a temporary installation too (but YMMV,
of course).

cheers,
-- Joel Hatton --
Security Analyst                    | Hotline: +61 7 3365 4417
AusCERT - Australia's national CERT | Fax:     +61 7 3365 7031
The University of Queensland        | WWW:     www.auscert.org.au
Qld 4072 Australia                  | Email:   auscert@auscert.org.au