Date:      Sun, 22 Nov 1998 22:49:48 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Rick Knebel <rknebel@rknebel.csrlink.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tape backup

Rick Knebel writes:
> Hi,
>
> I have a seagate scsi backup on my system that works great with OS2 and linux
> .
> In reading the manual it syas the name of this device should be /dev/nrst0.
> When I issue the command tar cvf /dev/nrst0 /etc/ppp the tape drive springs
> into action but it then stops with the message that it cannot add the file
> /dev/nrst0.
>
> Any thoughts.

You don't specify what version of FreeBSD, nor what model Seagate tape
drive you are using. Sometimes this matters. Also copy/paste the exact
results of your error is also of great help (but don't paste hundreds of
lines), something like this:

n4hhe: {1048} tar cvf /dev/nrst0 /etc/ppp
tar: Removing leading / from absolute path names in the archive.
etc/ppp/
etc/ppp/ppp.conf.sample
etc/ppp/ppp.linkup.sample
etc/ppp/ppp.linkdown.sample
etc/ppp/ppp.secret.sample
etc/ppp/ppp.deny
etc/ppp/ppp.shells.sample
etc/ppp/login.chat.script
tar: can't add file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets : Permission denied
etc/ppp/options
etc/ppp/connect-errors
n4hhe: {1049} ls -l /dev/*rst0
crw-rw----  1 root  operator   14,   2 May 25 03:07 /dev/erst0
crw-rw----  1 root  operator   14,   1 Nov 22 22:41 /dev/nrst0
crw-rw----  1 root  operator   14,   0 Nov  7 22:58 /dev/rst0
n4hhe: {1051} id
uid=928(dkelly) gid=928(dkelly) groups=928(dkelly), 0(wheel), 5(operator), 68(dialer)
n4hhe: {1050}

Suggest you verify the id of the user you are running tar as, and check
the permissions on your tape device as shown above.

> Also what commands and what programs do i need to use to rewind and erase a
> tape under freebsd.

Try "man mt", if you use /dev/rst0 then there would be no need to
rewind after using.

% mt rewind
% mt erase