Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 2003 12:31:00 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Edouard Saksonov <edouard_bsd@yahoo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can not rmdir

--f0KYrhQ4vYSV2aJu

On Fri, Aug 22, 2003 at 12:00:52PM -0700, Edouard Saksonov wrote:
> Hi,
> I've just installed FreeBSD 5.1, everything is fine, but when I wanted to=
 remove a directory(with only one file in it), the system do not want to do=
 that:
> When I type=20
>     rmdir -p dir_name    ,  it gives me as an output :
> >rmdir: dir_name: Directory not empty  =20

This is presumably correct.

> When I try=20
>     rmdir -rf dir_name    ,  it gives me as an output :
> >rmdir: illegal option --r
> >usage: rmdir [-p] directory ...

This is also correct (rmdir does not have the -r option).

> I installed FreeBSD 5.1 from the CD-ROM which comes with "Linux CD" magaz=
ine
> Maybe something's wrong with this CD ?

No, you're just misusing it :-)

To remove a directory and all its contents, you want to use rm -r.

Kris

--f0KYrhQ4vYSV2aJu

--f0KYrhQ4vYSV2aJu--