Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 23:04:13 -0500
From:      "Marty Leisner" <leisner@rochester.rr.com>
To:        root@isis.dynip.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Did I hear someone say Communicator 4.5 for FreeBSD?

Linux has had a.out support for years...

This is an advantage (since, for example), I just downloaded a binary
for an online service which used a.out linux support and it ran...

You should keep a.out for practical reasons (i.e. libc based programs
should run as binaries programs on a wide range of systems...

When did the elf transition take place?  It wasn't in any of the 3.0-SNAPs
I got up and running (I haven't got a 3.0 system running yet).

> Hi guys,
> Like Greg said, FreeBSD is supporting aout binaries, but not for long.
> If you have an ELF system, that means, Kernel is ELF, All binaries of
> the system are ELF, and all newly compiled binaries, from ports, etc
> are going to be ELF, but for a limited period of time, if you have an
> old binary compiled when your system was aout, or if you got the binary
> in aout format, you will be able to run it without noticing any
> difference.
> A point here worths mentioning, if you have a choice, select the ELF
> binary, because SOON enough, FreeBSD will DUMP aout altogether, this
> will make the system tighter, faster, and causing less headaches to
> developers, but will be a period of CHAOS, when a specific binary stop
> working then you find out it was an aout one.
>
> Happy ELFing.
>
> --
> - MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.                                ~o  .^.

Marty Leisner