Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 1997 21:36:40 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, APM and laptops

Havard.Eidnes@runit.sintef.no stands accused of saying:

> It's a Dell Latitude XPi.  FWIW, I had NetBSD installed prior to
> installing FreeBSD on this laptop, and there suspending worked
> just fine (modulo PCMCIA issues).

Their code is quite possibly better.

> > Are you enabling APM first, with 'apmconf -e'?
>
> No.  Do I need to?  I didn't need to do that when my laptop ran
> NetBSD, and foolishly (?) I assumed I didn't have to fiddle
> anything extra to enable power management in FreeBSD either.

Yes.  For some time, automatically enabling power management was risky
because the APM interface would spontaneously explode on the first
call, making the kernel unbootable on those machines.

> It appears problematic to find the default state for the
> variables apmconf provide an interface to...

I think I unserstand you here.  Apmconf should at most be a wrapper to
sysctl (but isn't).

> Hmm, doing 'apmconf -e' may have solved at least part of my
> problem.  I think I need to experiment some more before the final
> conclusion, but now I have at least once managed to take the PC
> into and out of the suspend state, although the behaviour appears
> somewhat erratic (sometimes it "auto-resumes" after about a
> minute...).

I haven't observed this, although I have seen 'zzz' suspend and then
immediately resume again.

If you have any time to investigate/work on this, your support would
be greatly appreciated.  If not, keep in touch so that the issues
you've raised don't get lost.