Date:      Wed, 16 Jan 2002 18:43:25 -0500
From:      Matt Penna <mdp1261@ritvax.isc.rit.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Subject:   Re: USB CF reader (SanDisk) epilog

At 07:33 AM 1/16/02 +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
>Matt writes:
>
> > Letting someone know there's something wrong is
> > just the first step ...
>
>The first step is determining whether or not something is wrong.  With no
>information at all concerning this error message, I don't know if the
>behavior I see is wrong or not.

Anthony,

If you found my comments offensive, then I am truly sorry and am hereby
offering a public apology. They were not intended as a personal attack on
you, nor did I perceive your previous comments to be a personal attack on
me. I offered my suggestions on phrasing your questions and comments
differently because there are definitely a number of people who might have
taken your comments personally, though I am not among them.

Let's get right to it:

1) In offering the reference to the usbd.conf man page, I was attempting to
help you find the information you needed for that configuration file, only;
the facts that I have never set up USB devices under any UNIX[-like] OS,
that I have not touched a FreeBSD machine in over 3 months nor a USB device
in over a year, and that I was not subscribed to the list when you made the
original request combine to put me in the position of being thoroughly
ignorant of exactly what the fundamental problem is that you are
experiencing. I'm sorry, I cannot offer anything further to help you solve
your problem; indeed, I still do not know what your original problem was.

2) My comments regarding PR's were not an attempt to shame you into
submitting a PR instantly. I was implying that once you get your device
working, send a PR to explain what you found deficient. If the OS itself
fell short, draw the maintainers' attention to it. If the documentation was
confusing to you and have suggestions for improvement, that qualifies as
bug. If you followed a given set of instructions, but the results did not
match what was expected, that qualifies as a bug. I was speaking in general
terms, not necessarily of this specific situation because again, I don't
know what the situation is.

If you cannot get your device working at all in spite of the answers you
receive on -questions, there are other mailing lists available that you can
try, all of which are listed on the FreeBSD web site. -questions is the
place to try first, and if it proves fruitless, move on to the more
specialized lists.

Finally, please don't be too quick to dismiss the input of angry young
males. The human race owes some of its most significant innovations and
examples of artistic genius to many young men who probably still had
pimples and cracking voices when they produced them, not the least of whom
are Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Franz Joseph Haydn, and Thomas Alva Edison.
And actually, it's been quite some time since anyone called me young, so I
take your words as a compliment. :)

I wish you luck in fixing your system. (No sarcasm intended.)

         Matt

--
Matt Penna                                      mdp1261@rit.edu
ICQ: 399825                                     S0ba on AOLIM