Date:      Fri, 7 Sep 2001 11:18:05 -0500
From:      Glenn Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LD_PRELOAD and linux binaries

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 09:07:56AM -0700, John Polstra wrote:

> In article <20010907102249.C37844@node7.cluster.srrc.usda.gov>, Glenn
> Johnson <gjohnson@srrc.ars.usda.gov> wrote:
>
> > I have been playing around with gdkxft and so have the LD_PRELOAD
> > environment variable set to point to the gdkxft library.  The
> > problem is with Linux programs which obviously can not link the
> > FreeBSD library.  The LD_PRELOAD environment variable needs to be
> > unset to run these.  For those Linux programs that use a wrapper
> > script, such as netscape it is easy enough to just unset the
> > variable in the wrapper script.  The problem is with Linux programs
> > that do not use a wrapper script.  I know the wrapper scripts are
> > trivial to write but it does not seem practical to write a wrapper
> > for every such program.
>
> Is there some way you could leave LD_PRELOAD unset, and use wrapper
> scripts to invoke the applications with which you want to use gdkxft?
> That's what I'd recommend.  I don't think the folks who dreamed up
> LD_PRELOAD had it in mind that you'd set it except for specific
> applications.  See runsocks, for example.

In this case, I am using the LD_PRELOAD variable for all gtk
applications.  I have many more of those then of Linux programs so
either way it is basically the same problem.  The gdkxft library being
loaded is for anti-aliasing fonts for gtk applications.  I really do not
absolutely need this functionality but I was just wondering if there was
a good way to get around the Linux binary and LD_PRELOAD problem while I
was using it.

Thanks.

--
Glenn Johnson
USDA, ARS, SRRC			 Phone: (504) 286-4252