Date:      Fri, 13 Jul 2001 09:28:13 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Tao Huang <m0th@dcs.shef.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A Question about alias

Tao Huang schrieb:

> When I alias a IP address to a interface, how we know which IP address the
> application will use?????Because the default route is as follow:
>
> d    gateway       interface
>
> 0    143.x.x.1     xl0
>
> Is there any command by which I can choose choose one of two ip belong to
> xl0?

No. On the application layer, you do not know anything about the IP
address used for your external communication. This is handled
automatically by the kernel. Basically, the outgoing communication shows
the very same IP address than the incoming connection if the remote site
set up the connection. For outgoing connections, the main IP address
would be used. I do not know if this can be changed.

HTH
-Christoph Sold