Date:      Fri, 31 May 2002 15:01:07 -0500
From:      "Darryl Hoar" <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IPFILTER & ftp - clarified

Greetings,
I have a firewall setup according to
"How to build a Freebsd-stable firewall with IPFILTER".
My Lan has windows machines on it as well as unix boxes.
The Engineers are trying to ftp some cad drawings out to a
ftp server on the internet.  No joy.  I posted a question and
got a response <in /etc/ipnat.rules> add:
map fxp1 0/0 -> 0/32 proxy port 21 ftp/tcp.

Also received a RTFM (IPFILTER how-to), which says the
same thing.

If I ftp from the firewall, I can now connect to the external ftp
server and access files, etc.  Unfortunately, the clients on the
network (windows) using Cuteftp, WS_ftp, etc cannot.  Even
a FreeBsd box on the network cannot access the external
ftp server files (it can login) even when forced out of passive mode.

The How-To said that in order to enable passive ftp through the firewall,
put:
pass out proto tcp all keep state.

shouldn't this rule have an interface specified?  Also, should this go
right before my rule:
block out quick on xl1 all

Also as a side,
what should I block to drop and not log RIP requests?

thanks,
Darryl