Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2001 17:37:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.freebsd.org>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proposed auto-sizing patch to sysinstall (was Re: Using a larger block size on large filesystems)

:
:The reason that it's there, and I disliked it too when I first thought
:about it, is that since the partitions are not created until the very
:end, you don't get the nice /dev/sd0s1f type of device names since the
:label editor doesn't know this until it creates the chunks with

    Oh.  It's REAL easy to create the partitions in real time.  If you
    look at the code I comitted to -current to do the scale retry loop
    and then consider that I also added a flag to the Chunk structure
    indicating the automatically created chunks, all you have to do is
    maintain a temporary copy of your disk template and delete/regenerate
    the auto partitions every time someone makes a change.

    I think it's very important for the user to see what is going on in
    real time.

:libdisk.  The reason it doesn't create them initially is because
:everything except the manually created filesystems are done
:"speculatively" since it would be very expensive to create and delete
:chunks when shuffling between profiles, and libdisk is also fragile

    It's inexpensive.  A few microseconds per keystroke at most... nothing
    is actually going to disk after all, you are just manipulating a bunch
    of malloc()'d libdisk structures.

:enough that I'd sort of expect that to break if you did it enough
:times.  So I thought the user might like the chance to actually see

    If so we'll fix the bugs. It's been fairly dependable in my tests.

:
:>     If you haven't already, each profile needs to have a small paragraph
:>     associated with it documenting what it is designed to do.  Then as you
:
:Not a paragraph, but a single line, yes.  It's displayed at the bottom
:of the screen whenever auto mode is invoked or the profile is switched.
:
:- Jordan

					-MAtt
					Matthew Dillon