Date:      Mon, 01 May 2000 15:30:42 +0200
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lists of files and directories missing from PLIST

Satoshi Asami writes:
>At some point in the future, I would like to make failure of this test
>fatal, i.e., the package build will fail if a port installs a file it
>doesn't say it does, or leaves an extra directory behind.  There are
>cases where files *are* supposed to be left behind (like info/dir), so
>we probably need an extra directive to speficy that.

I'm wondering about ports like vile and xvile (which I maintain) which
share directories (specifically lib/vile and doc/vile). If a user has
both installed and decides to delete on of them we don't want to pull
the rug out from under his feet by arbitrarily nuking everything.

We could force the install of files common to 2 or more ports into
unique directories, but then the user ends up with redundancies. The
other possibility would be to check dependencies and see whether the
files to be deleted are required by another installed port, but that
can get hairy.

Any ideas ?

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyj@muc.de gj@freebsd.org