Date:      Sun, 07 Apr 1996 12:30:38 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   CTM of CVS and disk space

What's the current estimate of disk usage for getting on the CTM
treadmill?  How much space does the CVS repositories take up?  How
much do I need for them + source tree + binaries for make world?
Would 200M be enough?  400M?  Does the disk space requirements change
between -stable and -current trees?

I currently have a 500M hard disk that I'd like to use for
"recoverable" sources.  That is, anything that I can recover w/o the
need of a backup tape from somewhere on the net.  I already have, for
another project, all of NetBSD's sources on there, and they take up
about 140M of source (I've not build binaries, but past experience for
me suggests that it would take another 100ishM for the binaries), so I
have "only" 250M-300M of disk space that I can allow for the FreeBSD
stuff: CVS repository, -{current,stable} tree (one at a time) and
whatever binaries I've generated and haven't installed yet.

It would be nice to have a common source base for at least the user
land code for FreeBSD and NetBSD.  Userland code doesn't seem as
greatly divergent as the kernel code.  Does anybody know if something
like this is going to happen any time soon?  Has it happened and did I
miss the announcement?  Are volunteers needed to make it happen, and
if so, is there a contact point?

Warner