Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 2004 09:53:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      David Wolfskill <david@catwhisker.org>
To:        ssw@neo.redjade.org
Cc:        www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Mailman] Someone modifies From: field of mail and send them to lists.

>Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:01:05 +0900
>From: Sangwoo Shim <ssw@neo.redjade.org>
>To: mailman@freebsd.org
>Cc: ceri@freebsd.org
>Cc: www@freebsd.org
>Subject: [Mailman]
>Sender: owner-mailman@freebsd.org

>Recently I've received couple of "Your message to freebsd-foobar awaits
>moderator approval" messages....

Please also note that empirical evidence to date suggests that there
exist some forms of worm/viruses/... that create both sender and
recipient addresses baased on patterns seens in existing email addresses
on the infected machine.  [I am, for example, seeing quite a few
messages bounced at home and at work because the intended recipient
address does not exist.  And at work, my boss requested that we
configure the script that invokes ClamAV to notify the
apparently-intended recipients of mail if a message was killed because
it contained a worm/virus/...; I am seeing quite a few such messages
being bounced because the recipient of the virus-infected message didn't
actually exist.]

Peace,
david       (current hat: postmaster@freebsd.org)