Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 10:06:54 -0400
From:      James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   PPTP and firewalls, can I?

I have been asked to help solve a problem with a local Non Profit
company.  They have about 50 machines plus printers and such running
Win9x on their local network and a single IP with NAT to the internet.
They have about 15 machines that need PPTP to connect to an external
inventory/billing company.  They have tried all sorts of other
solutions.

I am proposing that they get a block of 64 IPs and give each machine an
IP.
Install PPTP on the 15 that need it and give them all a block of
addresses together at one end of the IP block.
Give the rest of the machines IPs starting at the other end of the
block.
Install FreeBSD as the router with a firewall.
- Lock down almost all access to the "normal" machines.
- Block the vunerable ports (NetBIOS, etc) on the PPTP machines.
- There would be no need for NAT.

I am being told that it is hard to find a firewall that can pass 15 PPTP
sessions at the same time, but I think they are confusing firewall&NAT
with straight firewalling.

1) Will this work?

2) Am I missing something obvious?

Jim