Date:      Sat, 19 Dec 1998 12:12:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>
To:        hamilton@pobox.com (Jon Hamilton)
Cc:        kline@tera.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4mm tape drive question

According to Jon Hamilton:

> } > Gary Kline writes:

		[[ ... ]]

> } 	As for gzip, I've used it (unnecessarily) and recovered everything
> } 	succesfully.
>
> Out of curiosity, did it help any?  If your drive can do hardware compression,
> that may work out better; often that helps keep the tape streaming if nothing
> else, and results in better tape usage.

		Way back in the Middle Ages of 1995, they
		prob'ly had no idea of hardware compression;
		and at any rate, this drive doesn't have it.

		Nope, just tar with it's -z flag.

> } 	I need to buy a second tape drive (4mm or 8mm) for sage and
> } 	tar | dd across my net.  ...The good news, of course, is that
> } 	I'm never (?!) going to have 11G of data to backup.
>
> You'd have to be a slow learner to believe that :)  You said yourself
> that just 4 years ago, 2G was "a _lot_" of storage, and you've since
> bought a 9G drive.  I'm confident that your storage needs will continue
> to increase, possibly even at an increased rate.  With the continued
> improvement of processing power, data sets are getting larger, and so
> are applications.  That trend is unlikely to reverse (or even to slow
> appreciably).

	Unfortunately!

	In '91 I coughed up a bazillion dollars for a  1.08G
	drive for my SVR4 system.   Was certain that it would
	be (at least) decades before I'd ever be crunched, but
	within a few years I was running with filesystem slices
	at 90-95%.

	(*shrug*)

	gary