Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 17:08:14 +0100 (BST)
From:      Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
To:        Brian Dean <bsd@bsdhome.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DISKLESS does not work any more since update

On Mon, 14 May 2001, Brian Dean wrote:
> Just prior to 4.3-release, we slightly changed the way /etc is
> populated to avoid the null mount, and more recently, modified that
> procedure slightly to avoid having to create (and almost immediately
> delete) a /tmp memory filesystem.  To avoid creating and deleting the
> writable /tmp in rc.diskless1, however, we require that
> /conf/default/etc be a complete copy of /etc because when the memory
> filesystem is created over top of /etc, all of /etc disappears.  But
> with a complete copy in /conf/default/etc, we can just copy all the
> files back into place.
>
> > Well, now all terminals work well although they take longer to
> > bootstrap.
>
> I'm very glad to hear your terminals are working.  I'm confused as to
> why they take longer to bootstrap though.  The recent changes
> shouldn't affect that in any substantial way.

The 4.3-release change made things _much_ worse on some systems (think of
the case where there isn't enough RAM for both copies of /etc, so it ends
up being a copy between swapspace).  A 386sx with 5Mb took ages to boot
with that version.

The latest version looks much better (since you can make /conf/etc much
cut down compared to the real /etc), but I haven't had the chance to
benchmark it yet (the network card in the 386 - the newest component in
the box - just died!).

BTW, the latest rc.diskless2 still appears to have the bug whereby it uses
tools out of /usr/bin  (awk, touch, mtree) before it has done the mount -a
that makes /usr available.  I just move the mount -a further up the file
(just after the sourcing of rc.conf) and it seems to do the trick.