Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2007 18:01:37 +0000
From:      Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Pattern=AE?= <patttern@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trouble with Dell Inspiron 1501

PatternŽ wrote:
> Notebook Model: Dell Inspiron 1501
> BIOS version: 2.6.2 (A15)
> Try installing FreeBSD 6.2 and 6.3. Hard drive detected, slice and
> labels created, but installer cannot write any files on it. FreeBSD
> 7.0 halted on load from CD.
> PCBSD 1.4.1 installed successful.
> Not detected:
> - modem
> - cardreader
> - WiFi (loaded from ndis-driver)
> Not worked:
> - ACPI
> - with ACPI disabled notebook rebooting
> - shutdown/reboot work only if disabled legacy USB and Wireless hotkey in BIOS.
> In attachment (text/plain):
> pattern_DellInspiron1501.asl - ACPI Source Language
> pattern_DellInspiron1501.dmesg - log "dmesg"
> pattern_DellInspiron1501.hw_acpi - log "sysctl hw.acpi"
> PANTERA.i386 - kernel config
> PS: Sorry for my English.

I have the same laptop and recently upgraded to the 2.6.2 BIOS.  I have
no problems loading 7.0-BETA4 i386 from the CD.  The only possible
configuration changes I've made are to upgrade the RAM to 2GB and enable
the High Precision Event Timer.   I also have the wireless control and
hotkey enabled.

It appears the hang when shutting down or rebooting is due to an SMI
(System Management Interrupt) being generated when we disable the USB
controller: there was a detailed discussion of the problem in August,
see
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2007-August/076058.html
.   My laptop now shuts down and reboots since disabling legacy USB
support; since I can use the built-in keyboard during the early boot
stages it's not a problem.

When you say that 7.0-BETA4 halts as it's loading from the CD, do any
error messages get printed?  How far through the boot process does it get?

--
Bruce