Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 1999 10:41:51 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Geoff Jukema <gjukema@silk.net>
Cc:        Andrew Johns <ajohns@TurnAround.com.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.1 CD installation hangs

Geoff Jukema wrote:

> [snip]
> > > >
> > > Here's your problem ------------------------------^
> > >
> > > The documentation specifically staes that 12 MB RAM is required to
> > > install.
> >
> > Where does it state that. I know that is what we are telling people
> > but when you look at x.x-RELEASE/INSTALL.TXT for the last 4 or 5
> > releases you read the following
>
> Well, I popped in 2-8MB simms and its working fine.  I redug into the
> installation guides on the CD, and on the website, and all I've ever
> found was 5 to install, and 4 to run minimum.  Perhaps during hardware
> probe a check could be implemented, and if there isn't enough to
> install, an error message should display.  Just a thought.

That has been everyone else's experience. Give the installer 12MB of
memory or more and it installs fine. My problem is with the
documentation, which I think is out of date. If the documentation has
5MB to install and you need 12MB, then the ERRATA.TXT should have that
in it and the documentation upgraded in the future. I could not find
anything including the jewel box inserts that have the memory
requirement of 12MB or more specified.

You might consider doing a send-pr on the issue. I have asked how to get
the requirement upgraded and do a send-pr was the response. I have
thought about doing that but my smallest simm is 8MB and that makes my
minimum memory installation 16MB. I can't personally do a send-pr
because I can't make it fail in my environment. A send-pr would get the
documentation upgraded.

It wouldn't be so bad if the installer had produced an insufficient
memory message as you suggested. It simply hangs or produces some other
non-descript failure. You have to find out about the real memory
requirements from a current user.

Have a good day,

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html