Date:      Thu, 10 Sep 1998 19:35:01 -0700
From:      eric <eric@tarsier.domain.net>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Boot from Flash

On Thu, Sep 10, 1998 at 04:30:36PM -0400, Dennis wrote:

> Has anyone used the PC plug-in PCMCIA flash cards successfully with FreeBSD?
> If so can you boot from it without a HD?

I've done some work with this. Yes, you can boot off the flash card just as if
it were a disk. However, there are some problems. Due to the nature of the
flash memory, you more or less have to use it as read-only media (flash memory
can only be written about 100k times before it becomes read-only) and if you
have things writing to the flash all the time (even if it's just to update
access times in the inodes when files are read) there are spots on the flash
that will get "worn out" rather quickly, leading to filesystem corruption.
So the trick is to have your flash boot disk mounted read only and then either
have anything that needs to write write to ramdisk (which goes away when you
reboot) or do something like mount a writable directory from an NFS server
elsewhere. An ideal solution would be to have a ramdisk union-mounted
on top of the read-only flash, and then as part of the shutdown procedure
write the contents of the ramdisk over the flash once. Unfortunately you
can't do this in freebsd because the union filesystem isn't usable.
(you can mount it, but the kernel panics if you try to access anything in it)

So that's the state of my knowledge of it...
					eric