Date:      Sat, 15 Jun 2002 14:23:21 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
To:        DougB@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Idea: New file called CONTRIB

In message: <3D0B96CD.CA45F33F@FreeBSD.org>
            Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org> writes:
: "M. Warner Losh" wrote:
: >
: > OK.  There are a number of programs in the tree that people outside of
: > the project are trying to keep in sync.  They typically are on
: > src/contrib or src/sys/contrib.  However, there are a few that are in
: > the main tree, especially KAME related network config stuff (and
: > others).  I'm thinking that if there's someone that wants to be
: > notified/consulted on the changes so as to better sync an external
: > repository, then maybe having a file called CONTRIB in these
: > directories might not be a bad idea.
: >
: > Note: This isn't a maintainer, per se, but rather an indication that
: > the code (eg, .c and .h files) shouldn't be committed to w/o some
: > thought.
:
: This sounds like a back door out of the MAINTAINER controversy. :) We
: already have the notion of, "I'd like to know if you plan to make
: changes to this file" in the current /usr/src/MAINTAINERS, so rather
: than further muddy the water I'd like to give that a few more months to
: see if it works.

This is different than a Maintainer.  This is a bigger sign that says
"well, in an ideal world, this would be in contrib, but for whatever
reason it isn't.  Treat it like contrib however.  Thanks."

: One of the problems of this medium is that people think because we have
: (relatively) instant communication, we should have instant solutions to
: problems as well. That's hardly ever true, especially where humans are
: concerned.

This does not follow.

Warner