Date:      Tue, 13 Dec 2005 12:12:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Luke Dean <LukeD@pobox.com>
To:        Atanas <atanas@asd.aplus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.0 random freezes

On Tue, 13 Dec 2005, Atanas wrote:

> Atanas said the following on 12/12/05 18:57:
>> Peter Jeremy said the following on 12/12/05 13:40:
>>>
>>> When it hangs, break into DDB (Ctrl-Alt-Esc on the console or BREAK on
>>> a serial console).
>>>
>> But if I have no keyboard response I won't be able to save it, right?
>>
> (replying to myself)
> This is exactly what I was afraid would happen. The SATA based box just hung
> up again, with all of the kernel debugging options in place:
>
>  makeoptions   DEBUG=-g
>  options       KDB
>  options       DDB
>
> But I wasn't able to do anything with the keyboard in order to save a
> crashdump, so I got no other choices than hitting the reset button.
>
> Regards,
> Atanas

I posted this same problem recently.
My latest attempt to troubleshoot the freezes was to snatch the SATA card
out of the box.
The machine has been running without any problems since.  That was six
days, 12 hours ago - the longest uptime I've had since I upgraded the
machine to version 6.
The only reason I added the SATA controller to the box was to set up a
gmirror to make backups to, and since the machine kept freezing all the
time I couldn't make decent backups anyway, so removing the SATA card
didn't change the machine's duties at all.
The reason I suspected the card might be the problem is that I installed
it at the same time I upgraded to FreeBSD 6 (when the problems started),
the card only cost $20, and the drives attached to the card were getting
corrupted during crashes even though they weren't in use.  The card was a
SYBA SD-SATA-4P.  I've also got an rl0 ethernet interface on the PCI bus
also, and I wondered if it might be some kind of bus-mastering conflict or
something.
I still don't know if the problem was bad cheap hardware, bad interactions
between cheap hardware, or a software problem.
I suppose downgrading to 5.4 again might give some clues, but I don't
really want to do that right now since the system finally seems to be
stable again, albeit without my large disk array.
This may easily have nothing to do with your problem, since we have so
little information to go on, but the symptoms sound the same.