Date:      Sat, 03 Dec 2011 11:58:25 -0600
From:      cliftonr@volcano.org
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeNAS to Custom FAMP Server

On 01.12.2011 13:10, list, mailing wrote:
> Hello Everyone!!
>
> Server I have:
> 4 Drives No-RAID - 500GB Each
> 2GB RAM
> Dual core Xeon 2.4 GHz
>
> I'm looking to make an internal office machine running:
>  - Backup System (Software RAID5 or ZFS)
>  - Apache
>  - MySQL
>  - PHP
>
> Traffic is just internal (Website) and a Backup Server
> Looking to Install
> Backup Raid (FreeNAS or something else)
> Install Ports from FreeBSD Port Tree for extra software
> Reconfigure the Default Apache config for an internal Webserver using
> MySQL
> and PHP
>
> Looked into install FreeBSD with ( Gvinum and graid)
>  -- 9.0 Gives me error to bootcode
> ---- On boot to cd went to cd setup drives with gvinum with raid5 and
> started the gvinum setup
> ---- Went back to installer again and on the drive setup I used
> Guided
> installer and it gives me "bootcode error"

Since it doesn't appear anybody else has replied to you, I feel I
should
mention that 9.0 is not yet released - it's going through pre-release
release candidates to shake the bugs out.  I wouldn't use it for
something
like this yet, particularly if you're not yet very familiar with
FreeBSD.

If you were going by the 9.0 release schedule page on freebsd.org, I
regret to say that you should ignore it - it's not being kept up to
date
with the actual status and slippage of the release.  Treat 9.0 as
unreleased until you see the official announcement of its release.

The latest official release is 8.2, and I would start there.

Next, having all your drives in RAID-5 under gvinum may not be the
right
choice or even a workable choice.  That would imply that you are going
to boot off the gvinum RAID-5 plex.  In that case, before the OS can
set
up the gvinum drive, the boot loader, kernel, and the gvinum module
must all be readable via simple BIOS disk reads - but with RAID-5, they
won't be.  Gmirror can do this, but does only simple mirroring.

Possibly you would want to look at putting the drives in ZFS and
setting
up boot from ZFS instead.  That's a more future-proof solution.

Once the drive set up is selected, and the OS installed, the rest of
what
you want installed is pretty simple, I think, using the ports manager.
For an "appliance" style configuration, it's possible that FreeNAS
would
be better for you; I'm sorry to say I haven't got around to trying it
yet.

Best wishes,
   -- Clifton

--