Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 1995 12:26:36 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        raoul@cssc-syd.tansu.com.au (Raoul Golan)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Too many UUCP checksum errors! Help!

Raoul Golan stands accused of saying:
> This is my situation.  I'm using 2.0.5-RELEASE, and I'm getting lots
> of checksum errors on UUCP over my 16550A UART, mostly due to lost
> bytes.  I swap cards to a 16450 UART, and the problem disappears.
> I tried using the 16550A UART again, this time with the FIFO
> disabled in the kernel, but the checksum errors were still there.

This is bizarre, but as I've commented previously, I have a local customer
that has a similar problem.  Characters are lost incoming and outgoing,
but only when FIFOs are enabled.

> I have a noisy line, so I always enable the modem's error correction.
> I don't get a single checksum error over the 16450, but lots of lost
> bytes over the 16550A.

Are your '550s individual devices, or are they buried in a blob?  What
brand are they/is the blob?

> One more thing: the 16550A is on a VESA slot, wheras my 16450 is
> on an ISA slot.  I have a DX4-100, i.e. my clock speed is 33, so
> I don't really expect the bus speed to be causing any problems
> (especially since Linux works at the same speed).  I usually

The '550s aren't actually accessed across the VESA bus, so this isn't an
issue.

> connect at 14.4K, but the situation is the same regardless of
> the modem speed I connect at.  Funny thing is that I can run
> Netscape quite happily over the same UART without any problems -
> perhaps SLIP handles lost bytes better than the UUCP protocols?
> (BTW, I don't run UUCP over tcpip, but through direct dialup)

Yes, SLIP will often survive incredible data loss.

> It's no big deal for me to use a 16450, just to get FreeBSD UUCP
> to run.  It sounds like the 16550A driver could be dropping bytes,
> but I'm not sure.  I'm just interested in what could be going wrong.
> I was hoping that this additional information may give someone a
> hint as to what's happening.

I'm puzzled as to what the problem is, but until I can get one of these
malfunctioning devices and mail it all expenses paid to Bruce, I'm not
expecting any real answers...

> Raoul

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[