Date:      Fri, 3 Oct 1997 10:04:13 -0500
From:      Bob Willcox <bob@pmr.com>
To:        stable list <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   fork errors - resource temporarily unavailable

Every since I upgraded my system to 2.2-STABLE a couple of months ago I
have been having this temporary but re-occuring problem with procmail
getting EAGAIN errors when trying to fork one or more of the programs
that I have specified in my .procmailrc file.  I believe my limits are
sufficiently high:

Resource limits (current):
  cputime          infinity secs
  filesize         infinity kb
  datasize-cur        32768 kb
  stacksize            8192 kb
  coredumpsize         8192 kb
  memoryuse-cur       32768 kb
  memorylocked        10240 kb
  maxprocesses          512
  openfiles-cur         512

as I never have more than about 150 or so processes running on my
system, yet procmail (and only procmail!) intermittantly has this
problem.

Note that I have upgraded my system a few times since I first started
seeing this problem (right now I'm running 2.2-stable as of about 5 days
ago), yet the problem persists.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
--
Bob Willcox	       Deliberation, n.: The act of examining one's bread
bob@luke.pmr.com         to determine which side it is buttered on.