Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 02:55:38 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Bruce Allen <claudevms@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org, claudevms@home.com
Subject:   Re: Ready to code... When can I start?

> Bruce Allen wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Operating system internals are fun. I just wish I had more time - I'm married!
> What can I work on? I once added context switching to PC-XINU for the math
> co-processor.
> I have programmed in assembly language and I know C.
>
> Has anyone looked at how VMS handles interrupts (HW and SW)? I have, but I'm
> partial to VMS.
> How about how VMS does threading? Or perhaps how VMS has asynchronous system
> traps (ASTs)
> for allowing the programmer to do asynchronous programming. NT stole ASTs from
> VMS and
> broke them. There's many ways to skin the cat - unless you are an animal
> rights person.
> I would love to see FreeBSD implement an interrptable kernel and support the
> execution of application code
> in kernel mode through a system call. The global lock approach I read about on
> your site sounds
> like how DOS serialized its I/O - yuk! Other OSes have good features that
> FreeBSD could benefit from.
>
> The Lustre project is attempting to create a VMS-like distributed lock manager
> for Linux. I am working on
> doing the same thing for FreeBSD since I like the FreeBSD license agreement
> better. I am also working on how
> to make a share everything cluster work on FreeBSD. I'm still in the very
> early stages.

At one stage simon shapiro (shimon@shapiro.org I think) did a
distributed lock manager..

> What efforts need help? My current job is boring and I
> miss the hell out of
> software development - however it pays well!

Pick anything that interests you, see who else is interested (mainling list
archives and cvs logs) and start. get ino the -current and -hackers lists
and enjoy yourself.. You don't need to be invited in..

--
      __--_|\  Julian Elischer
     /       \ julian@elischer.org