Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 23:38:54 +0100
From:      Andreas Braukmann <braukmann@tse-online.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: (OT?) best mouse for Intel box?

Hi,

On Tue, Jan 04, 2000 at 06:54:21PM -0700, Chad R. Larson wrote:
> I've got a lot of miles (and a couple of years) on a Kensington
> "Expert Mouse", which is a trackball.
I just have to second this. 'Really good' trackballs are quite
wonderfull devices.
I don't know the Kensington models, but I use various ITAC mouse-traks
for more than 5 years now. I'm more than satisfied with them.
They are expensive, ... but my 5 year old serial version of the
Mouse-Trak Professional works and feels like brand new.

> The ball is about the heft and size of a cue ball off your pool table.
All models are featuring balls like this.

> My old version has two buttons; the current ones have four, I believe.
The Mouse-Trak Personal/Professional has three (configurable) buttons,
the 'Evolution' has 6(sic!) buttons. Three on the left and three on
the right site of the 'big ball'.
I have it configured like this (for right-hand use):
The buttons on the right are regulary pressed by the thumb, with the
thumb resting on the 'second' one.
    - first button :    programmed to switch between linear speed and
                        'ballistic' acceleration.

    - second button:    'left button' / 'button 1'

    - third button:     programmed to 'left button' double-click

The buttons on the right side:
    - sixth button:     since the 'little finger' usually rests on it,
                        this button serves as a regular
                        'right button' / 'button 3'
    - fifth button:     the ring finger rests on it.
                        => 'middle button' / 'button 2'

    - fourth button:    mostly used with the middle finger,
                        it's programmed to 'click and hold'

Have a look at http://www.mousetrak.com/

-Andreas

--