Date:      Thu, 06 Dec 2001 10:29:52 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "mark cole" <nectarios@music.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Journalling file systems

> Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 10:12:12 -0800
> From: "mark cole" <nectarios@music.com>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> Does FreeBSD have a journalling file system?
> If so, please let me see the release notes on it.
> If not, When do you plan on doing so in the future?

At this time FreeBSD does not have a journalling file system. This is
largely because softupdates is believed to provide the advantages of
journalling file systems without most (all?) of the drawbacks.

There has been frequent discussion on this list and the stable list of
porting any of several free journalling systems to FreeBSD, but I am
not aware of any real effort at doing so.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)