Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 2000 14:24:20 -0500
From:      Michael Urban <murban@tznet.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world procedure

Well, you have the order a bit mixed up and a few commands wrong..

On Sat, Oct 21, 2000 at 01:59:52PM -0400, Marko Ruban wrote:
> > make buildworld
> > make buildkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
> > make installkernel KERNEL=MYKERNEL
> > make world

You should make world before building and installing the new kernel.
Also, if you already did make buildworld, you should do make
installworld instead of make world. make world basically combines the
two steps of make buildworld and make installworld into one command.

> Haven't heard of "make world", I think this should be "make installworld", but
> not sure.

make world combines the two commands make buildworld and make
installworld.

> > after subsequent  cvsups  is it still necessary to make buildworld?

It depends on how much has changed.. If only a couple files has
changed it is pointless to rebuild the entire world. You can just go
into the source directories where the files are that have changed and
rebuild that instead with "make all install". If a lot of files have
changed, or very important systems have changed, then yes, remake the
world.

If you are new at this, and are not sure how to rebuild individual
parts of the source tree, then it is probably easiest for you just
to make the world, and may not be a big deal if you start it before
you go to bed. It will be done by morning for sure.