Date:      Thu, 14 Mar 2002 15:46:56 +0100
From:      KHaeberlein@gmx.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   firewall, ppp and tun0

I want to setup a FreeBSD machine to the Internet via PPPoE and DSL.
This is no problem with the basic installation. But if I want to run it
with natd and a firewall it does not work. To connect to the ISP is no
problem, but I can not send and do not receive any data.

My /etc/rc.conf has following entries:

        ifconfig ed0 up            # start PPPoE-interface
        gateway_enable="YES"
        firewall_enable="YES"
        firewall_script="name of  firewall script"
        ppp_nat="NO"
        natd_enable="YES"
       natd_interface="tun0"
       natd_flags="-dynamic"

As proposed in manpage natd(8) I have following firewall script:

        /sbin/ipfw    -f    flush
        /sbin/ipfw    add 50 divert natd all from any to any via tun0
       /sbin/ipfw     add pass all from any to any

At boot time I get these messages:

        ipfw :  warning:    interface  " tun0 "   does not exist    (at
proceeding the firewall script)
        Firewall rules loaded, starting divert daemons:   natdnatd  :
Unknown interface name tun0

Can anybody tell what's wrong here?

Thanks

Klaus