Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 15:04:57 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dwalton@psiint.com (Dave Walton)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Honeywell 3 button mouse

> > > If you dig through that marketing hype, you get this:  It's a
> > > high-resolution mechanical mouse that doesn't use a ball.  That means
> > > that it doesn't need a special pad like an optical mouse, but it never
> > > ever ever needs cleaning like a ball mouse.  Quite simply, it's the best
> > > mouse mechanism I've ever run across.
> >
> > This sounds like the round Decstation Mice (or cheeses as we called them).
> > Unfortunately, whilst they work fine (we also called them 4WD mice) on
> > really rough surfaces, they're round, so you have no idea which way
> > they're pointing when you grab them 8)
>
> Round?  What a silly shape to make a mouse.  I suppose you could find
> "up" by checking the tail...
> Why did you call them 4WD mice?  What was their mechanism like?

Everything you never wanted to know about DEC mice:

              |    |    -----|
TOP           | A  |      B  |
              |    |         |
              ------    -----|

                           \
             | ___ |        \.
SIDE         |' A `|    \ B /
             (     )     \ /
              `___'       `

The ball is replaces by two rubber-footed shafts (foot covers can be
replaced).  The shafts depend from the bottom of the mouse at a 45
degree angle and are orthoganlly opposed in the x/y plane in which
the mouse is moved.

When the mouse is moved in the +/- x direction, foot A rotates in
a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction, rotating its shaft an
causing make-break -n a two gate directionally sensitive optical
gate.

Likewise, when the mouse is moved in the +/- y direction, foot B
rotates in a clockwise or counter-clockwise direction.

There is no rotation which causes dirt to be moved to the coupling
mechanism, as in a traditional mouse or trackball.

Personally, I always thought DEC mice looked like albino hockey
pucks.  8-P.

Using two of their massive plastic coated T connectors and four
of their massive plastic coated terminators and one ordinary T
connector, along with one hocky puck mouse, it's easy to create
a fairly realistic model of the starship Enterprise:

Terry's DEC Enterprise model (ask about our other kits)
TOP VIEW:

DEC mouse (or albino hockey puck if mouse is not available)

           _----_    ,---.,-----.,---. <-- DEC thinwire terminator
          '      `   `---'`-. ,-'`---'
         |===     |         `-'
        |====      |        |O| <-- ordinary 'T' (female connector down)
         |===     |         ,-.
			     ^

			     DEC 'T' (female connector to inside)

I'm suprised that no one else realised this -- after all, the VAX/VMS
system clock starts at Stardate 1.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.