Date:      Fri, 5 Oct 2001 09:57:47 +0930
From:      David Robley <huntsman@www.nisu.flinders.edu.au>
To:        Chris Aitken <chris@ideal.net.au>, php-general@lists.php.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [PHP] Getting an Email into a PHP/pl script

On Fri,  5 Oct 2001 07:24, Chris Aitken wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have looked into the archives but im not sure what im searching for
> so I decided to ask here.
>
> What I want to do is, on my FreeBSD box running PHP and MySQL, to have
> a system which will take any email sent to a specific address, and pipe
> the body of the email to PHP (or even to a perl script). Once I have
> the body of the email as a variable, I can do all my parsing and
> extracting etc to do with it as I need, but im baffled on where to
> start looking to get this done.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What are you using for an MTA? If for example you are using sendmail, you
can set up an alias, via an entry in /etc/aliases which pipes the
incoming mail to a script, which could be a php script. Of course, you
would need a php binary. Similarly you can set up an alias file with
qmail which passes the email to a script.

This is a common technique for say creating web based mail list archives.

--
David Robley      Techno-JoaT, Web Maintainer, Mail List Admin, etc
CENTRE FOR INJURY STUDIES      Flinders University, SOUTH AUSTRALIA

   Cats aren't clean, they're just covered with cat spit!