Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 08:47:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dillon@earth.backplane.com (Matt Dillon)
Cc:        ryan@sasknow.com (Ryan Thompson), freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filesystem holes

>     Ahh.. yes, I know.  I'm a filesystem expert :-)  However, that said, I
>     will tell you quite frankly that virtually *nobody* depends on holes
>     for efficient storage.  There are only a few problems where it's
>     practical.... some forms of executables, and sparse matrixes.  That's
>     pretty much it.

Your master password database.  Most sendmail maps.  Anything
else that uses the Berkeley DB, like message catalog files,
locales, etc..

Frankly, sparse files have a huge number of uses, particularly
when applied to persistant storage of data of the kind you'd
see in chapter 5, section 5.4.x and chapter 6 in Knuth's.

Plus your FFS filesystem itself is a sparse matrix.  It'd be
real useful to be able to "free up holes" in a file, if I
wanted to use one to do user space work on an FS design, for
example, a log structured FS, where I wanted to be able to
experiment with a "cleaner" process that recovered extents.

I'd actually be able to tell real quickly whether it was
working by just setting an allocation range that I expect
my iterative testing to stay within (if it goes over or under
the range while I'm moving stuff around and cleaning at the
same time, I'll know there's a bug in my daemon).

Personally, I'm not rich enough to be able to burn disk space
so easily.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---