Date:      Sat, 01 May 2004 17:06:43 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        putnam@speakeasy.net
Cc:        Unix Help <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: fsck failed

putnam@speakeasy.net wrote:
> after rebooting my computer i recieved the measage
> AUTOMATIC FILE CHECK FAILED; HELP!
> I am at a loss here I cant even log in what do I do to correct this as well as my cdrom not working

When this happens you should have the opportunity to boot into single-user mode.

It sometimes takes a while ... wait a few minutes and you should get a prompt
asking you what shell you want to start, the default is fine.

Once at the command prompt, you'll want to get your filesystems fscked ... the
easy way is:
fsck -y
The -y tells fsck to assume you'll answer yes to any questions, and it can save
a lot of typing.  If this returns errors, run it again.  and keep re-running it
until it runs without errors ... at that point your filesystems should be OK.

Then you can type "reboot" and the system should be able to start without trouble.

HTH.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies