Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 20:40:26 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>, Konstantinos Konstantinidis <kkonstan@duth.gr>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: helping victims of terror

Rahul Siddharthan said on Sep 26, 2001 at 20:26:30:
> > > Remaining history is more recent.  The Iraq thing was provoked by
> > > Saddam Hussein, who invaded Kuwait, and Bush Sr had the support of
> > > most of the Muslim world in liberating them.  Where the US went wrong
> > > was in the continued bombings and embargo on Iraq for ten years
> > > afterwards, which did not hurt Saddam at all, caused untold suffering
> > > on his people, and convinced most Arabs that the US does not value
> > > Arab lives at all.
> >
> > The embargo does not extend to food or medical supplies.
>
> Excuse me.  It included trade, and that includes trade in medicines
> and food.  There was/is a UN "food for oil" scheme, but the US fought
> tooth and nail to prevent countries (including India) from using it to
> trade with Iraq.

For further reading, see
     http://members.tripod.com/~NH_PEACE_ACTION/Dispell_myths.htm

I don't know about everything listed there, but from what I've read in
various places before, what they say about the food situation is
substantially true, and so is what they say about Saddam Hussein's
spending on public infrastructure and improving the lives of his
people.  The same is true of Gadhafi in Libya, by the way.  And
neither of them is an Islamic fundamentalist.  It doesn't mean they're
nice guys, but there are far uglier people in that neighbourhood.