Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 2003 12:45:16 -0400
From:      "John Straiton" <jsmailing@clickcom.com>
To:        "'Chris Pressey'" <cpressey@catseye.mine.nu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Performance Problems.. Server hardware smoked by $500 box?

> > I'm pretty confused right now with trying to determine the
> nature of a
> > performance problem I'm having on one of my servers. The
> server is a
> > webserver with a separate db/file server sitting behind it.
> The issue
> > is that in pulling up websites from the machine, my silly POS
> > development box has nearly double performance although one
> would think
> > it shouldn't. [...]
>
> Disclaimer: these are random, uninformed guesses...
>
> - Is it possible the server has too much RAM?

I'll look into this.

> - Are you using the same db server as the backend for your
> development box?

Thanks for your suggestions, unfortunately- yes, both scenerios in
production (webserver + db server or db server acting as both) are
slower than the development box serving off of the db server. There are
no local services other than apache on the development machine.

John Straiton
jks@ clickcom.com
Clickcom, Inc
704-365-9970x101