Date:      Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:00:07 +0200
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>
To:        Sven Petai <hadara@bsd.ee>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3 broken on AlphaPC 164LX

--+ts6NCQ4mrNQIV8p

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 01:16:10PM +0200, Sven Petai wrote:
> Hi I'm having some problems with getting 5.3 to work on
> a pcalpha (AlphaPC 164LX). This box was running 5.2.1
> until now without any problems. Basically it now panics
> in most cases right after trying to execute init,
> sometimes it just hangs there forever.=20
> boot messages & panic & some ddb output is available @
> http://bsd.ee/~hadara/debug/pcalpha/pcalpha_panic_08.11.2004.txt
> kernel config is available at:
> http://bsd.ee/~hadara/debug/pcalpha/kernel.txt
>=20
> any debug ideas ?
>=20
I have AlphaPC 164SX which is basically the same h/w, and
it runs without any illness.

> if there aren't any better ones then I will just try to
> trace down the commit that caused it by cvsuping up/down
> but that will probably take at least a week...
>=20
Can you check that it's not a bad memory issue?

> PS
> how can I tell kernel were it should dump core when it can't
> reach userland to use dumpdev command ?
> I tried various ways like setting dumpdev=3D/dev/ad2b from loader
> and tried to compile it into kernel, without much luck
>=20
Good question.  Setting dump device early from loader(8) has
not been supported since 2002 when Poul-Henning re-implemented
it for GEOM.

Cheers,
--=20
Ruslan Ermilov